Monday, January 24, 2011

Amanuensis Monday: Letter from Aunt Helene (April 1972)

An Amanuensis is a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another. 




Source: Letter from Mrs. V.W. LeMaster, 206 Bon Air Dr., Sidney Ohio to Mr & Mrs. Ord LeMaster, 214 W. Monroe St., Alexandria, Indiana, postmarked February 19, 1972.

Dear Gloria & Ord :

I received your letter with the request to give you the information about the LeMaster family.  I know very little about the early history of the family.  Art had a book of the LeMaster family that was published through the efforts of some LeMaster.  It had father & mother's names and their children.  It was not all together correct (the Luman LeMaster family) if I recall rightly.  Then, Art also sent a history of his family that he and Aunt Maud Phillips had typed and sent to their families.  I have that and will check through it for information.

I am sorry to be so late in answering your letter.  I have had the flu for almost a month and have such an accumulation of back work it seems I never get caught up.

You do not have Clifford LeMaster in your group.  If I do not find enough about his family I will give you the name and address of his daughter Gladys who lives in California.

You might inquire about the book Art had.  It had the 'crest' or emblem or whatever it is called of the LeMaster family.  I do not know what has been done with his books.

You will hear from me again when I get the material assembled.

Keep well and happy,

Love Aunt Helene

---
This letter, postmarked February 19, 1972, was written to my parents by my father's grandaunt, Helene (GARMHAUSEN) LeMASTER, widow of Dr. Vernon Walker LeMASTER.

The following explanations of people and things mentioned in the letter:

1. Art = Arthur Raymond LeMASTER, brother of Vernon Walker LeMASTER.  Arthur died December 16, 1971.

2. The LeMaster genealogy referenced must refer to Lemasters, U.S.A., 1639-1965 by Howard M. Lemaster and Margaret Herberger.  I have a copy of this genealogy.

3. The family history mentioned as being compiled by Art and his sister, Maud (LeMASTER), was put together circa 1960.  I have a partial copy and will reference it in later posts.

4. The Clifford LeMASTER is William Clifford LeMASTER,  an older brother of Arthur and Vernon.


Amanuensis Monday is a daily blogging theme which encourages the family historian to transcribe family letters, journals, audiotapes, and other historical artifacts. Amanuensis Monday is a popular ongoing series created by John Newmark at Transylvanian Dutch.

No comments: